Justin Edge, a 3rd-calendar year UGA regulation pupil has held a prestigious summer season authorized internship at Chick-fil-A and released Charlayne Hunter-Gault at UGA’s Holmes-Hunter Lecture at UGA. Edge is fully commited to assisting other individuals and aims to boost minority representation in the authorized profession.
Significant university: Americus Sumter Large College
Expected graduation: Spring 2021
Diploma objective: Juris Physician
B.A., political science, concentration in American federal government from Morehouse College, 2016, Phi Beta Kappa
Now, I am a portion-time litigation clerk for Lawyer Ross Massey and Alexander Shunnarah Damage Legal professionals P.C. situated in Athens. I handle pre-litigation matters, discovery, negotiate settlements, communicate with clients, conduct lawful investigation and go to inspections.
Family members ties to UGA:
I am the third human being in my family members to attend UGA. My young cousin, Thomas Edge, graduated this previous summer time. My cousin, Claudia Wooten, is a senior at UGA.
I chose to attend UGA for the reason that …
… the University of Regulation is the finest return-on-investment decision establishment in the state. UGA Regulation delivers learners with a robust qualified network, a powerful basis to protected premier work opportunities, and lets learners to graduate without having the load of an unreasonable amount of personal debt.
How is law faculty distinctive than the undergraduate knowledge?
Regulation school is virtually universally more difficult and far more demanding than undergrad. The workload is heftier and there is a higher dosage of anxiety. For instance, you will be assigned an enormous range of webpages to read on a nightly basis. At occasions, you will be identified as upon to demonstrate the information and facts whilst in course. It is a frightening expertise. Professors use the Socratic method to interact in an in-depth dialogue about the materials. They usually say that the rigors of legislation university are intended to put together us for the rigors of our lawful career.
A different change is the grading procedure. Grades are generally dependent on one particular examination. With the exception of authorized investigate and composing courses, many law college courses do not have graded homework, and they have couple of, if any, quizzes. Due to the fact there is a limited grading curve, exam day is nerve-racking.
Top rated college highlights, achievements, awards and scholarships:
- Selected as a 2020-2021 Pupil for Lumpkin Inn of Court, understanding and networking prospect for decide on contributors in the moot court docket and mock trial plans.
- Moot Courtroom member, will be arguing in the 2021 Nationwide Moot Opposition argued in the 2020 Spong Invitational Group, quarterfinalist for Talmadge Competition and put in the prime 32 in the Russell Levels of competition.
- Prosecution Clinic (2020-2021), 3 semester program, with two semesters interning in the Rockdale County DA’s Workplace.
- 2019 Chick-fil-A summer months lawful intern, a person of two interns picked nationwide
- Picked as a 2020 summer months affiliate, Smith Gambrell and Russell LLP (canceled mainly because of COVID-19)
- Recognized a entire-time provide from Smith Gambrell and Russell LLP for put up-graduate employment.
- Picked as a 2018- 2019 Robert Benham Scholar. In 2020, I experienced the distinct honor of introducing the Honorable Justice Robert F. Benham as the visitor speaker for the 35th Holmes-Hunter Lecture at UGA. I also had the privilege of introducing and presenting Charlayne Hunter-Gault.
- 2018-2021 UGA Law Dean’s Ambassador.
What I realized at the Chick-fil-A internship…
In summer time 2019, I finished a 10-week summer time authorized internship with Chick-fil-A corporate. In that ability, I labored with in-property attorneys in which I acquired the complexities involved in the meals and beverage industry, figured out best tactics to minimize authorized hazards in retaining a company, and realized how to handle and develop outdoors counsel. The legal internship was a when-in-a-life time prospect.
In certain, as a summer months lawful intern, I
- drafted analysis proposals and memorandums redrafted consent agreements into simple language
- researched compliance legislation, 50-condition retirement study, 50-point out survey of rest crack requirements
- attended conferences pertaining to lawful and business enterprise issues arising from all places of Chick-fil-A (i.e., true estate deals and negotiations, and litigation disputes) and
- assisted with aiding operators comply with condition mandated rules and treatments in the office.
And finally, Chick-fil-A taught me the relevance of shopper assistance and function culture. I’ve been blessed to experience lots of do the job environments in my lifetime, but I had hardly ever skilled anything at all like Chick-fil-A. The hospitality society was a to start with-charge experience and it had an immeasurable affect on the people about me.
Other interesting work encounter:
As a teen, I worked at a funeral household in Americus. I credit score a large amount of my success to this 1 practical experience. The nature of the funeral home business enterprise requires the maximum concentrations of maturity, do the job ethic, discretion and dependability. Right now, I use some of these similar lessons each individual and every day. Barnum Funeral Home is the oldest black-owned funeral residence in Americus.
In 2017, I served as a marketing campaign staffer and office environment supervisor for mayoral applicant Keisha Lance Bottoms. After a profitable campaign run, Mayor Bottoms became the 60th mayor of Atlanta.
My most loved spot to analyze is …
… the annex at the Legislation Library. It’s cozy and peaceful.
My favourite professor is …
… Andrea Dennis. In spring 2020, I took a household legislation program with her and I fell in like with her instructing design. I am presently getting an proof class with her.
My beloved issues to do on campus are …
… just about anything concerned with my regulation college classmates Victoria Hicks and Anre’ Washington. Each time we’re collectively, there is normally fun and laughter.
What do I do when I have free time?
I like to chat with my mothers and fathers, Michael and Linda Edge, and sister, Jasmine N. Edge. We are extremely close. On regular, we speak for 90 minutes every single cellphone phone.
If I could share an afternoon with anybody, I would enjoy to share it with …
… my late grandfather, Judson Edge Sr. He died when I was young, but his legacy lives on in my group. I would adore to invest an night with him and soak up as substantially knowledge as doable.
If I understood I could not fail, I would …
… operate for political business. Preferably, I would operate for Congress.
If funds was not a thing to consider, I would …
… like to function a farm. Around the past two years, I have turn into infatuated with agriculture.
Just after graduation, I approach to …
… observe legislation at Smith Gambrell Russell in Atlanta.
Tips I would give my youthful self:
Embrace failure and fully grasp that there is a lesson behind every thing — excellent or lousy.
What is your enthusiasm and how are you fully commited to pursuing it?
My passion is to aid other folks. I was elevated on faith, spouse and children and neighborhood. Consequently, I believe in giving a supporting hand to my neighbor. In that vein, I hope to build an initiative where by minorities in South Ga would have publicity to the legal career. Expanding up, I did not desire of remaining an lawyer mainly because there weren’t any lawyers that looked like me. I system to pay back it ahead.
I #CommitTo: Equality